[erlang-questions] When to create mnesia schema for OTP applications

Paul Mineiro paul-trapexit@REDACTED
Mon Jun 29 03:32:17 CEST 2009

By the way, just to augment the excellent answers already in this thread,
I don't see the need to call mnesia:create_schema/1 before mnesia is
started.  Fresh mnesias started via mnesia:start/0 begin with ram-based
schemas which can be hooked up to other mnesias via mnesia:change_config/2
with the extra_db_nodes parameter, and then converted to disc based
schemas via mnesia:change_table_copy_type/3.

You can check out the relevant code from schemafinder for inspiration:

http://code.google.com/p/schemafinder/source/browse/trunk/schemafinder/src/schemafindersrv.erl#44

schemafinder essentially does dirty schema reads to avoid creating
unnecessary schema transactions (which slow down node restart times under
heavy load), but the essence of the sequence is: mnesia:start/0,
mnesia:change_config/2, mnesia:change_table_copy_type/3.

-- p