[erlang-questions] Postgresql vs Mnesia vs Couchdb

Wojciech Kaczmarek kaczmarek.w@REDACTED
Wed Jun 24 20:25:04 CEST 2009

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 23:03, G.S. <corticalcomputer@REDACTED> wrote:

> Hello everyone,

Hi,

> Anyone ever ran a benchmark against these 3 dbs to see which ones scale
> better to terabyte scale? Also, are there any well known projects in Erlang
> that are similar to Dynamo?
> Also, what does everyone suggest one uses for a db if one knows that that
> db
> might grow to be huge, I've heard that mnesia does not scale that well.

One of the basic questions is what fits your architecture more: the
distributed commit or the different approach:  replicating data between the
nodes which are possibly offline. If the latter it's how CouchDB naturally
works. If the former, you have it for free in Mnesia (but retrieving data
from offline nodes is a nightmare).

I guess answering this question is much more important than benchmarks
(which usually are not relevant to *your* problem domain anyway) as it
determines how your infrastructure will be built and maintained.

cheers