[erlang-questions] Newbie question can't explain behaviour of my program (tutorial exercise masterslave)

David Budworth dbudworth@REDACTED
Tue Jun 23 14:36:06 CEST 2009

Have you tried from the regular "erl" or "werl" shell?  the output you
pasted is from erlide, which maybe is not showing all the erlang output
until some buffer limit is reached? (never used erlide, so no idea)

but your code is correct, I just tried it, and here was my shell's output
(note, all 5 procs started instantly):
1> c(masterslave).
./masterslave.erl:101: Warning: variable 'Reason' is unused
{ok,masterslave}
2> masterslave:start(5).
Slave: 5 with Pid: <0.44.0> created
true
Slave: 4 with Pid: <0.45.0> created
Slave: 3 with Pid: <0.46.0> created
Slave: 2 with Pid: <0.48.0> created
Slave: 1 with Pid: <0.49.0> created
3> masterslave:to_slave(hello,2).
Slave 2 recieved the message: hello
{message_to_slave,{hello,2}}
4> masterslave:to_slave(die,1).
Slave 1 with old PID <0.49.0> restarted with new Pid:
<0.51.0>
{message_to_slave,{die,1}}
5> masterslave:stop().
Master going downstop