[erlang-questions] distributed system: same app, different params

Ulf Wiger ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Mon Jun 22 17:44:57 CEST 2009

Roberto Ostinelli wrote:

> hi, can i ask for a little clarification more: what would you use to
> deploy this script on many different machines? mechanisms such as bash
> script managers over the network, application_controller, ...?

I guess this is a bit application-specific, but one may e.g. distribute
a global config document, and let each machine find its own particulars
by matching on the host name. It can then complement the global config
with data found through local discovery.

A bash or python script might be the best tool for this kind of
thing, but escript could of course also work.

Another fairly nice approach, if you're running within an Erlang
environment already, is file:script(File). It's like
file:consult/1, but returns the value of the last expression.
This function actually came from the 'builder' project, where
I generated app files, config, boot and script files through
a combination of preset values and local discovery.

BR,
Ulf W
--
Ulf Wiger