[erlang-questions] Versioned variable names

David Mercer dmercer@REDACTED
Thu Jun 11 16:31:11 CEST 2009

For what it's worth, I enhanced my parsec_do transform to do something
similar.  If this syntax is appealing to anyone, I use "<-" for
reassignment, and "=" can still be used for matching.  Of course, you can
still have patterns on the LHS of the "<-" (e.g., "{ok, X} <- ..."), but any
variable will be reassigned rather than matched.  Anyway, if you like this
syntax, I can make my transform public:

	[ do:_ || MO <- re:replace(MO, "_", "-", [{return, list}, global])
	        , MO <- toupper(MO)
	        % Replace zeros
	        , MO <- re:replace(MO, "RX0", "RXO", [{return, list},
global])
	        % Insert hyphen if missing
	        , case re:run(MO, "-", [{capture, none}]) of
	              nomatch -> insert_hyphen(MO);
	              match -> MO
	          end
	        ]

(Note that the underscore in "do:_" is because my parse transform allows
different functions to do the binding, so I'm using "_" to mean just
reassign variables, with no special functionality.)

Cheers,

David Mercer