[erlang-questions] Shutting down a gen_server in a supervision tree

Jeroen Koops koops.j@REDACTED
Fri Jun 5 09:47:57 CEST 2009

Hi Torben,

> 1. Why is it important for your to keep the network connection happy when
you are shutting down?

For some protocols, it is important that the connection is shut down in an
orderly manner, instead of just closing the TCP connection. As an example,
closing an SMPP connection involves first waiting for responses to
oustanding requests, sending a logout PDU and waiting for a logout response
PDU.
Failing to wait for responses to outstanding requests means you don't know
if certain requests have been accepted by the server. Failing to send the
logout PDU may lead to the server not realizing that you have logged out and
rejecting new login attempts for some time.

> 2. When you are being told to die you should only clean up your resources.
Pending messages should not be a concern. If the requests are so important
you should consider spawning a separate process for them.

That's a possibility, but not what I want - I want
application:stop(my_application) to finish only after everything has been
shut down cleanly. Leaving a new process hanging around handling closing the
connection is not really an option.

> 3. Your problem sounds more like a gen_fsm problem where you should
introduce a shutting_down state that collects responeses or times out.

May gen_fsm is more fitting here than a gen_server, but I don't think it
will make a huge difference. If I create an extra shutting_down state (which
can be done just as easy with a gen_server by setting some flag in the
gen_server's state, by the way), someone will still have to trigger this
state.

> 4. My code style is normally to let the supervisors help out with starting
of processes and try to restart according to the policies. Shutting down is
normally something for another worker process to instruct us to do.

So you don't use application:stop/1 for this?

Regards,

Jeroen