[erlang-questions] Does Wx need smp??

Angel clist@REDACTED
Tue Jun 2 18:30:33 CEST 2009

El Lunes, 1 de Junio de 2009 07:36:45 Dan Gudmundsson escribió:
> The reason was speed, as it is an object oriented api I thought there
> would be a lot of queries to the driver/port program.
>
> A GS was bashed a lot previously so I thought that we make it as fast as possible
> from the beginning.
>
> Maybe that wasn't the best decision?
>
> /Dan

Well, from the novice point of view,  I have seen many times in this list that raw speed is a very questionable concept
because being fast doesnt mean scale better. Erlang itself is very devoted to scale causing confusión and horror
to people on the first time when you see so much copying to allow nthe non destructive model and mesage passing.

For one scenario (a single nodel) a built-in driver maybe optimal, maybe not,  Windows seems to be the case here for
speed (most stuff in kernel) whereas X in the oposite shows you can make GUI over a wire protocol and let nasty things
(as masive opengl and the like transfers) to pluging or extensions (XVIDEO...) where tricky things can be done (IPC via
shared segments and other things).

The whole system often is so much complex to be achieved using only one paradigm (funtional, process, threads, oop ...)

Despite those things wxerlang seems pretty interesting and a very good stating point for erlang going into the desktop..

/Angel

--
Este correo no tiene dibujos. Las formas extrañas en la pantalla son letras.