[erlang-questions] Adoption of perl/javascript-style regexp syntax

Ulf Wiger ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Tue Jun 2 14:18:23 CEST 2009

As an ex-representative of large software development projects,
I too think that home-grown syntax pre-processing tools are
very hard to control on a large scale. Having done my share
of parse transform modules in this sort of environment, I can
testify that anything that departs from regular erlang syntax
and semantics has a tendency to trigger stress reactions in
people.

One obvious reason is that practically all code written in
these projects will be inherited and maintained by other
people (a rule of thumb is that 80% of the cost of a
program is in the maintenance phase), and a significant
portion of the work reading and trying to understand the
code will be by first- and second-line support people in
other locations, without access to the build environment.
All non-standard syntaxes and programming conventions
increase the cost and tends to reduce the effectiveness
of first- and second-line support.

BR,
Ulf W

--