[erlang-questions] Mnesia Secondary Indexes

Evans, Matthew mevans@REDACTED
Tue Jul 21 22:34:43 CEST 2009

Hi,

I recently faced a similar issue to this. I wanted to do a range-based query on a table (created as a bag) where each primary key could contain a large number of records (10K or so). I decided against using a secondary index as a key, but instead searched using a select, with a primary key and specifying a guard to do the range query.

As expected, these queries took a long time.

To overcome this performance issue I changed the table from a bag to a set and used a modified gb_tree module that returned a reference to the range.

For example, the old key of:

KeyAsInteger

Became a tuple:

{KeyAsInteger,RangeValue}

The modified gb_tree accepted any value in the query, and would return the "closest" match. I could then use this as the RangeValue in the query to the tuple.