[erlang-questions] Re: Unicast 20k messages, $500-$1000 bounty

Sverker Eriksson sverker@REDACTED
Fri Jul 17 12:35:39 CEST 2009

Joel Reymont wrote:
> Since the result of gen_tcp:send is ignored in the broadcasting loop,
> perhaps erlang:port_command can be used directly on the socket to make
> things completely asynchronous and avoid the need for a middleman
> process.
>
> I think solid proof is needed here rather than speciluation.

Calling erlang:port_command directly will not make things completely
asyncronous. The inet driver will suspend the calling process when the
send queue has reached its high watermark. You will block in
erlang:port_command until some sending has succeeded and the send queue
is below a low watermark. Or you can timeout using option send_timeout.

/Sverker, Erlang/OTP