20k messages in 4s but want to go faster!

Jim Morris wolfmanjm@REDACTED
Mon Jul 13 07:57:57 CEST 2009

Actually Tony has a good point, I presumed Joel was doing it that way.

In my server when I unicast what I actually do is send an erlang
message to each process, and that of course sends the TCP message to
its client. So when I have 8,000 clients connected I have 8,000
processes, and each one sends a TCP message to its client.

Not sure if having a list of 8,000 TCP sockets and iterating over them
sending to each socket from a single process would be any slower, I
never tried that approach. It seems more obvious to me to have a
process per connection, and that process is responsible for any
communication with its client, that way everything is serialized to a
specific client, and the process keeps its clients state.

So Joel do you have one process per client or iterate over a list of
sockets?