[erlang-questions] What is the best software development platform to use when working with Erlang?

Gleb Peregud gleber.p@REDACTED
Thu Jul 2 10:49:29 CEST 2009

Hello

2009/7/2 paweł kamiński <kamiseq@REDACTED>:
> maybe it is just a matter of configuration of my emacs but I miss so simple
> features like
> -word highlighting if you selected the word in editor

Just add

(transient-mark-mode t)

to your ~/.emacs file. Adding

(global-hl-line-mode t)
(set-face-background 'hl-line "#444")

will enable current line highlighting (very handy. You need a terminal
which supports at least 256 colors so it looks good)

> -auto complition of existing function's or var/atoms's names - now I just
> copy paste

I use M-/ to complete the words (it ignores any semantics - it just
completes the words based on all open buffers). It is quite handy but
not perfect. Distel supports proper erlang module and function name
completion, but it is hard to configure it properly

> -the overall user experience is dramatic,

Emacs is not easy to learn, but when you have enough experience you
will think that any other editor is handicapped and not pleasant to
use.

> sometimes is hard to select and
> then copy the same chunk of code many times in the row.

C-SPC, arrows, M-w - to copy text
C-y to paste and afterward use M-y to cycle through the yank
(copy/cut) buffer. It is really handy.

> -what the hell is make :) I want my editor to build my project and copy all
> to dist or other boring things
> and still I have no time to configure all this distels things :)

With Distel C-c C-k compiles a module in the current buffer. I've
added support for including hrl's from deps/*/include and deps/*/src
in my ~/.emacs - I can share it if you want me to.

Best regards,
Gleb Peregud

P.S. IDO mode is really handy too:

(require 'ido)
(ido-mode t)

It adds a better completition for file-open (and similar) mini-buffer

--
Gleb Peregud
http://gleber.pl/

Every minute is to be grasped.