[erlang-questions] "Erlang as a First Language" -- crazy? or just stupid?

Kenji Rikitake kenji.rikitake@REDACTED
Fri Dec 25 01:31:52 CET 2009

In the message <9bd8a08a0912240246p7da4c4b8p8aeb99d7a326214d@REDACTED>
dated Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 11:46:19AM +0100,
egarrulo <egarrulo@REDACTED> writes:
> Would you throw away all your Emacs goodies and go back to that?

If I didn't have to write Japanese (or even I have to), I'll stick to
vim (solely for the multi-level undo feature which BSD nvi doesn't have
- so vi is enough). Note that I will not claim which is better or not; I
rather want to tell you need to get the things done anyway even if you
haven't got the tools you want.  And I've written my PhD thesis in
English without Emacs :) (I'm writing this using Emacs BTW.)

I think automatic indentation is essential for editing the code of most
of the programming languages including Erlang, C, awk, Perl, Python, or
whatever too.

I still rarely use source code debuggers unless to analyze a coredump
file for the stack trace.  I'd rather review the source code myself and
simulate how it works to find out what I did wrong when debugging.

One very good thing about Erlang is that all variables are only assigned
ONCE; this will make the debugging much easier.

And I suggest you to read the "10. The more talented somebody is, the
less they need the props." section of the Web page in the following URL.
Having a better toolset does not necessarily guarantee you can do much
better work.

http://gapingvoid.com/books/

Just a thought.

Regards,