[erlang-questions] "Erlang as a First Language" -- crazy? or just stupid?

Robert Virding rvirding@REDACTED
Tue Dec 22 16:13:28 CET 2009

2009/12/21 Michael Turner <leap@REDACTED>

> You know that "choice of environments" I mentioned?  Here it is: you
> can write it in Object-Oriented Cobol for an IBM AS/400 with a
> green-screen glass-tty terminal, or in Fortran 90 while telnetted from
> Windows 95 into a DEC VMS system.  THAT's how some of these people
> would feel at the outset about any programming language, and an
> environment like the Erlang shell.

I've programmed Fortran on VAX/VMS, even before I had an Emacs on it. What's
the problem?

Seriously, I think if you are that hung up on an IDE-based environment
you've got problems anyway. In one sense having a very simple and basic
environment may actually be easier to use just because it is so simple and
basic which can make it easier to see and understand what is going on.

Robert