[erlang-questions] "Erlang as a First Language" -- crazy? or just stupid?

Toby Thain toby@REDACTED
Mon Dec 21 17:01:18 CET 2009

On 20-Dec-09, at 7:55 PM, Jarrod Roberson wrote:

> Actually Erlang as a first language is not that bad of an idea,
> especially
> if the only thing the person will ever support is that one
> application.
> Erlang is hard to learn for people coming from imperative C based
> syntax
> languages and especially those with decades of experience.
> 20 years of doing something a particular way is hard to UN-learn.

Data point: As somebody who's coded mainly C for 20 years - I did not
find that at all. It took only 2 or 3 days to get well acquainted and
start building something. The primitives and syntax are not
difficult. I'd call it a breath of fresh air.

As everybody says, it was mostly fun from that point forward.
Compared to C-like imperative languages it is impressively less code
(estimates of 1/4 to 1/10 seem quite realistic). The reduction in
tedium in favour of expressiveness would seem strongly in Erlang's
favour as a teaching language.

--Toby