[erlang-questions] "Erlang as a First Language" -- crazy? or just stupid?

Michael Turner leap@REDACTED
Mon Dec 21 16:42:34 CET 2009

This is off-topic but I thought I'd comment approvingly anyway:

Cyril here is actually a nice combination of well-informed and
open-minded.  That AS/400 was architecturally visionary and conceptually
sophisticated is a pretty well-kept IBM secret.   As for OO COBOL, it
might have been a better way to bring object orientation into the
mainstream than C++ or even Java, since COBOL is actually a pretty
accessible language for mere mortals, and there might still be more
running COBOL in the world than any other language.  Grace Murray Hopper
would have approved of OO COBOL, I'm sure, and she was a revolutionary,
and even the great grandmother of Open Source in a way.  Kids these days
-- they know nothing!

I was just trying to start with average-hacker emotional reactions,
whether they reflected prejudices or not.

-michael turner