How configure and debug Erlang networking

Hynek Vychodil hynek@REDACTED
Fri Dec 18 23:04:08 CET 2009

Hello,
I often stuck in problem with Erlang networking and I don't know how
debug problem and solve it. For example I start VM with erl -sname
server and than another one on same HW erl -sname client. I can see
client@REDACTED and server@REDACTED node names in prompts and than I do

(client@REDACTED)1> net_adm:ping('server@REDACTED').
pang

and got pang. What shall I do now? What is best practice to trace down
networking problem? I know that there is some problem with my_host
resolution but I would like know systematic way how to deal with it.
Beside this I also remember that there is some Erlang specific
networking and name resolving configuration and It was repeatly
mentioned here in mailing list but I can't find proper search criteria
to find it. I have spend more than hour searching documentation (erl,
epmd, inets, ...) and this mailing list without success. It is really
frustrating.

I would appreciate any help with it. Also some mnemotechnic which help
me in future will be welcome.

With best regards

--
--Hynek (Pichi) Vychodil

Analyze your data in minutes. Share your insights instantly. Thrill
your boss.  Be a data hero!
Try Good Data now for free: www.gooddata.com