[erlang-questions] distribution utility like python distutils?

Garrett Smith g@REDACTED
Thu Dec 17 18:51:23 CET 2009

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 2:12 AM, litao cheng <litaocheng@REDACTED> wrote:
> hi, all
> I'm an erlang programmer, usually, I use reltool to build my target system,
> but I feel it so complex and not stable.
> I hope erlang can support some tool/library like python distutils, we can
> distribute our module or otp application
> simply. erlang website can also have some subject like pypi (python package
> index), I think those can promote the erlang package
> growning. I think we need an standard mechanism for all developer.

Timely question. Martin Logan presented OTP fundamentals and
referenced a couple tools that go along with the dev/deploy/maintain
lifecycle for OTP applications:

Per your question, I believe Faxien is good fit:

http://www.erlware.org/tools/faxien/index.html

For streamlining builds of OTP apps:

http://www.erlware.org/tools/sinan/index.html

I haven't used these myself, but will definitely be checking them out.
As a fellow Python developer, and someone who appreciates the ease of
consuming Python packages via 'easy_install', I'd be interested to get
your take on these Erlware tools.

Garrett