[erlang-questions] OTP13B03 failed to make parallel on OS X 10.6 in 64-bit: ld: duplicate symbol _debug in debuglog.o and esock.o

Illo de' Illis erlang@REDACTED
Thu Dec 17 12:34:12 CET 2009

On Dec 17, 2009, at 11:54 AM, Illo de' Illis wrote:

> On Dec 17, 2009, at 11:39 AM, Mikael Pettersson wrote:
> [...]
>> extern in function declarations in .h files is not needed
>> and just plain redundant.
>
> Yeah, I know, it's plain redundant but fairly descriptive, in fact I will be using /extern/ for function declarations in header files for the time being.
> I wasn't suggesting the erlang core team to apply my patch to the OTP source tree[1], I just run a quick git-diff of my tree and posted it for Ceriel Jacobs to compile his sources. You can safely remove the /extern/ from function declarations and repost the patch if you feel the urge to.

I'm afraid my previous answer sounds a bit harsh so I'll rephrase:
Actually, I always prepend /extern/ to prototypes declaration in C header files because I believe it to be consistent somehow.
This time, though, it happened because I fixed the bad headers by running a quick and dirty /sed/ command with a simple substitution regex, knowing it wouldn't have done any harm by having the OTP sources coding style changed by that /extern/ for now.

Ciao,
Illo.