websockets and erlang

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Wed Dec 16 16:22:02 CET 2009

This mail seemed to get lost, so I'm sending it again ...

After a little experimentation I've got websockets and erlang playing together.

This means we can now do pure asynchronous I/O with a browser - no
long-poll, no comet, no server-polling, no ajax and a major source of
server inefficiency (HTTP header parsing) is totally eliminated.

   On your web page you write

   In Erlang you say

       Browser ! {send,  "tag1 ! XYZ"}

    Then the inside of the div is set to the string XYZ

    This presupposes that you have Google chrome, a local web server and a
web page with some suitable javascript to decode the incoming messages.

    read more about this on my blog

http://armstrongonsoftware.blogspot.com/2009/12/comet-is-dead-long-live-websockets.html

/Joe