[erlang-questions] Preventing calling some functions

Mazen Harake mazen.harake@REDACTED
Sun Dec 13 13:41:01 CET 2009

Hej,

As Zoltan is pointing out and IMHO I don't see any benefit at all in
"protecting" the system from "bad" plugins, I would rather restrict the
application itself. If you allow plugins that will provide some kind of
RPC like feature or a server of some sort etc then I can understand but
my point was simply that if you are just making a plugin-system for your
application then restricting it that way just cripples it and doesn't
give any additional "security". Proprietary software I can understand
more if you want to limit but still this is not giving you very much
benefit anyway since malicious code can be put in there anyway.

So on the first count; I understand what you mean but I disagree that it
should be handled on that level. I would put it on the admin's
responsibility to use "safe" plugins instead.
On the second count; the same really, you harm (restriction harms) more
then you benefit IMHO.

Anyway... my 2 cents. I was just curious :)

BR,

/Mazen