[erlang-questions] Preventing calling some functions

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Fri Dec 11 11:07:38 CET 2009

It's a but tricky but doable.

You need to do a parse transform of the source code, the parse transform can
decide which functions are legal.

Suppose you don' t want to call gen_tcp:listen then you do a parse
transform that looks for
gen_tcp:listen and replaces it with exit(badArg) or whatever.

Now suppose somebody want to break this and writes:

      F = list_to_atom("listen"),
      receive
           {From, M} ->
              M:F(...)

You transform this into:

  F = list_to_atom("listen"),
      receive
           {From, M} ->
              check_call(M, F, ...)

where

   check_call(gen_tcp, listen, ...) -> exit(badArg);
   check_call(M, F, A) -> apply(M, F, A)

Certain checks can be done statically, others at run time.

Sandboxing things like spawn and list_to_atom which are potentially
dangerous is much more
difficult - so it all depends on what you want to do.

There is also a technique for allowing two plugins to use the same
namespace without colliding

The basic idea is to transform the module name to the MD5 of the
module content in a consistent
way. I have experimented with this, see:

http://github.com/joearms/elib1/blob/master/supported/versions/versions.html

The general problem is difficult - which is probably why there are no
standard libraries for this.

Specific problems like "only dissallowing calls to gen_tcop:listen" is
easier (though there might be some
problem with dynamic code upgrade, I haven't thought so much about

Cheers

/Joe