End of year thanks to the OTP team

Bruce Fitzsimons bruce@REDACTED
Wed Dec 9 22:33:16 CET 2009

Hi,

I'd just like to echo Steve Davis' comments ("btw the github move, the
beta website, and doc searching is all truly spectacular and highly
appreciated") from the obscurely named "asn1ct out of date?" thread.

Allowing contributions to Erlang while having it maintained as a stable
commercial product is a hard balancing act, and the steady hand on the
tiller is something everyone continues to benefit from -- it gives a
high level of trust that new Erlang releases will work out of the box.

The move to open up the Erlang development process further has been
amazing. We've all been frustrated at times by our patches seemingly
disappearing (and occasionally, really disappearing) while they were
processed by the OTP team. The github process supports further
acceleration of contributions and allows open and frank discussion of
the merits. I'm not anticipating that all patch authors are going to be
happy all the time, so I expect some robust discussion about this
on-list as well over the coming years, but this is healthy and hopefully
invigorating.

So, thanks OTP team. You've done really well this year.

Regards,
Bruce

PS Can we expect to see you on Twitter and Facebook next? :-)