[erlang-questions] Re: Erjang

Hynek Vychodil hynek@REDACTED
Wed Dec 9 13:23:42 CET 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 6:47 PM, Johann Höchtl <johann.hoechtl@REDACTED> wrote:

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've just run into Erjang, "a JVM-based Erlang VM":http://wiki.github.com/krestenkrab/erjang. Has anyone happened to try this?
>>
> Sorry to say no, and my personal opinion is, that it is not such a
> great idea, but this is solely based on 'personal feeling' rather than
> profound technical insight.
>
> I liked this quote best:
>
> "The big win will be running on a VM that does dynamic compilation,
> selective inlining, and all the performance that comes from that. With
> that be enough to out-weigh the various disadvantages? Time wil show."
>
> Given the trmendous work which has been done on Luajit2 and the vast
> improvements speedwise, I wonder I sthg. a least mildly comparabel
> could be done to the Beam VM. Is some work going on for HIPE or the VM
> in general?
>
>> Regards,
>> Zoltan.

I have thinking about it and mine decision is that JVM never get
strong isolation, reliability and soft-real-time characteristics as
Erlang have but Erlang VMs can improve their performance. I think that
HiPE is great but it is little bit pushed to its limits. Great things
happen to dynamic languages compiling this year and especially Trace
Trees comes on mine mind. Applicate Trace Trees approach to Erlang
should be next big thing. Unfortunately I'm not experienced enough to
try prove it and doesn't heard of anybody else who even start thinking
about it.

--
--Hynek (Pichi) Vychodil

P.S.: Sorry if you have got this message twice, I have some issues
with using multiple gmail accounts and this mail conference. One of
them must have changed something :-(