[erlang-questions] Re: Erjang

Tony Arcieri tony@REDACTED
Tue Dec 8 18:58:44 CET 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Johann Höchtl <johann.hoechtl@REDACTED>wrote:

> Given the trmendous work which has been done on Luajit2 and the vast
> improvements speedwise, I wonder I sthg. a least mildly comparabel
> could be done to the Beam VM. Is some work going on for HIPE or the VM
> in general?

HiPE is nowhere close to the JVM's HotSpot in terms of the types of
optimizations in can perform.

Among other things, the JVM's HotSpot can deoptimize.  HiPE cannot, and for
this reason HiPE cannot inline across modules, as a code change would
require the inliner to deoptimize whenever code change occurs.
Deoptimization also allows HotSpot to try aggressive optimizations which may
actually lead to performance regressions or no noticeable improvements, in
which case it can deoptimize and try again.

--
Tony Arcieri
Medioh! A Kudelski Brand