[erlang-questions] Getting the position of a list item

Igor Ribeiro Sucupira igorrs@REDACTED
Wed Dec 2 18:53:04 CET 2009

I happened to need that once and ended up implementing my own, so I
think you won't find it in the standard library.

Later, I realized there was a more elegant way of doing what I wanted,
so I should agree with Robert in that you probably don't need that
functionality (but we could be wrong, of course...).

find_first(Element, List) when is_list(List) ->
    find_first(Element, List, 0).

find_first(_Element, [], Inc) when is_integer(Inc) ->
    Inc + 1;
find_first(Element, [Element | _Tail], Inc) when is_integer(Inc) ->
    Inc + 1;
find_first(Element, [_ | Tail], Inc) when is_integer(Inc) ->
    find_first(Element, Tail, Inc + 1).

Igor.

--
"The secret of joy in work is contained in one word - excellence. To
know how to do something well is to enjoy it." - Pearl S. Buck.