[erlang-questions] massive distribution

Peter Sabaini peter@REDACTED
Tue Dec 1 16:11:21 CET 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 11:32 +0100, Roberto Ostinelli wrote:
> > If you're talking about the built-in Erlang distribution mechanisms --
> > FWIW: in a quick test I did a while ago I had trouble keeping stable
> > connections for more than ~80 connected nodes. I must admit I was a bit
> > surprised as the "Efficiency Guide" seems to imply that the number
> > should be much higher (?).
> >
> > Possibly the number of known (but not connected) nodes can be higher
> > than this.
> >
> > HTH,
> > peter.
>
> thank you peter.
>
> 80 connected nodes seems a low number if one seriously need to build
> cloud applications.

I guess that depends on the application and what "serious" means :-)

> i guess that one needs to develop his own mechanisms for
> interconnecting nodes in a way more similar to a custom 'mesh
> networking' [pardon the conceptually wrong extension of this term]?
> would that be more appropriate, to your belief?

As Kevin hinted at, one can use Erlangs' distribution protocol without
using automatic connection handling. OTOH, if you for instance need more
security than Erlangs distribution mechanism provide, it might be wise
to invest in a custom protocol anyway. FWIW, I imagine the data
serialization/deserialization functions could be reused.

peter.