[erlang-questions] Getting support for X.692 in the asn1 application OR "If not ASN.1, then what?"

Torben Hoffmann torben.lehoff@REDACTED
Thu Apr 30 10:59:01 CEST 2009

Hi,

I am looking into finding efficient ways of dealing with legacy protocols
and during that I found the X.692 standard:
http://www.itu.int/rec/dologin_pub.asp?lang=e&id=T-REC-X.692-200203-S!PDF-E&type=items
http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/asn1/database/itu-t/x/x692/2002/index.html

The ASN.1 compiler barfs on the ELM and EDM modules since X.692 is not
supported by the asn1 application.

What are the chances of X.692 being supported by the asn1 application?

A aside: no matter how fun it really is to code Erlang nothing beats getting
a pair of encode-decode functions for free.

BTW: the key need I am trying to address is the ability to specify the PDUs
of an arbitrarily weird protocol (mostly telecom ones) and then get a codec
for it. ASN.1 is not a holy grail for me and other good technologies will be
looked at if you suggest it.

Thanks in advance,
Torben