[erlang-questions] newbie question on deploying third party tools

Will wglozer@REDACTED
Wed Apr 29 19:46:25 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 6:30 AM, Larry White <ljw1001@REDACTED> wrote:

> Based on recent posts to this list, I'm interested in trying the smtp-fsm and epgsql libraries.  My general question is: How do you deploy these things?
> More specifically, I have my own app with its own src subfolder, etc. Where do third party libraries get installed relative to something like this?

On a development system it's easiest to set the ERL_LIBS environment
variable to a PATH-like list of directories containing your libraries.
For example I've set ERL_LIBS to ~/erlang/lib/ which contains
directories named yaws-1.81, epgsql-1.1, etc. Another option is to put
libraries in the lib/erlang/lib/ directory under your Erlang
installation.

For more details check out the documentation for the code module,
http://erlang.org/doc/man/code.html.

> Also, what if anything, do I then need to do to use the applications?

When you're running erlang in interactive mode (the default), there's
nothing else to do. The code server will automatically load modules
from the code path as needed. There's also an embedded mode and boot
scripts for production systems, which loads all modules during
startup.

-Will