[erlang-questions] Line Receiver example?

Jarrod Roberson jarrod@REDACTED
Mon Apr 27 21:12:29 CEST 2009

2009/4/27 Oscar Hellström <oscar@REDACTED>

> Hi Jarrod,
>
> I guess what you're looking for is the packet option for sockets. In
> case you're using a TCP socket you can either open your listen socket
> with the option {packet, line}, gen_tcp:listen(Port, [{packet, line}]),
> or you can set it to line based parsing later by issuing
> inet:setopts(Socket, [{packet, line}]). In case of UDP you need to open
> the socket with gen_upd:open(Port, [{packet, line}]). inet:setopts/2
> will also work for a UDP socket.

thanks, but I still seem to be missing something.
I still can't get it to print out anything when I connect and send data to
my server.
I think something is wrong in my get_line/1 function.

Here is my code so far.

-module(linereceiver).

-export([start/0]).
-import(lists, [reverse/1]).

sleep(T) ->
    receive
       after T ->
           true
    end.

start() ->
    spawn(fun() ->
            start_parallel_server(3000),
            sleep(infinity)
          end).

start_parallel_server(Port) ->
    {ok, Listen} = gen_tcp:listen(Port, [binary, {packet,line},
                                         {reuseaddr, true},
                                         {active, true}]),
    spawn(fun() -> par_connect(Listen)end).

par_connect(Listen) ->
    {ok, Socket} = gen_tcp:accept(Listen),
    spawn(fun() -> par_connect(Listen) end),
    inet:setopts(Socket, [{packet, line}, binary, {nodelay, true}, {active,
true}]),
    io:format("Connection Made!~n"),
    get_line(Socket).

get_line(Socket) ->
    receive
        {tcp, Socket, Bin} ->
            io:format("Received Line:~p~n", binary_to_list(Bin)),
            get_line(Socket);
        {tcp_closed, Socket} ->
            io:format("Connection Closed!~n")
    end.