[erlang-questions] receiving pang from net_adm:ping/1 even though net_adm:names/0 shows the other node

Per Melin per.melin@REDACTED
Sun Apr 19 19:43:51 CEST 2009

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 7:30 PM, Dennis Byrne <dennisbyrne@REDACTED> wrote:
>> Try starting both nodes with -sname. That doesn't require a valid hostname.
>
> This is what I did in the original post, starting the nodes with $ erl
> -sname foo -setcookie c and $ erl -sname bar -setcookie c .

Well, if you go back and look what you posted that wasn't actually it.

Anyway, I tried to change my hostname to 207 and then the same thing
happened to me as you describe in your original post. It seems it is a
bad idea in general to have a numeric hostname, since there is no way
to tell it apart from an IP-number.

fanboy:~$ sudo hostname 207
fanboy:~$ ping 207
PING 207 (0.0.0.207): 56 data bytes