[erlang-questions] Unbuffered/blocking gen_tcp send

Johnny Billquist bqt@REDACTED
Fri Apr 17 18:38:49 CEST 2009

Magnus Henoch wrote:
> Matthias Lang <matthias@REDACTED> writes:
>
>> TCP has flow control, but it can't be controlled at the fine level you
>> would like it to, i.e. down to whether a given "packet" has been
>> received by an application at the other end or not.
>
> Actually, it can.  The receiver acknowledges to the sender exactly which
> bytes have been received.  However, I don't know of any TCP
> implementation that makes that information available to the
> programmer...

Actually, no. The received ack information in TCP do not tell which
bytes have been received by the program at the other end, only that they
have arrived to the TCP stack at the other end. It means that they are
available for the program at the other end, but wether or not that
program actually have recevied them you can't tell.

	Johnny

email: bqt@REDACTED             ||  Reading murder books