[erlang-questions] memory leak.

Hynek Vychodil vychodil.hynek@REDACTED
Fri Apr 17 14:40:39 CEST 2009

You can't deduce anything usable from those numbers. Those processes can
hold various amount of memory. Thousands of processes is not usual unless
you run application which is usual to have this amount of processes.

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 2:10 PM, Roman@REDACTED <Roman@REDACTED> wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 16:36:55 +0500, Mihai Balea <mihai@REDACTED> wrote:
>

> I don't think, that a problem in process leak.
> First restart count process: 8400, next: 13082, next 11110
>

> > On Apr 16, 2009, at 2:24 AM, Roman@REDACTED wrote:
> >
> >> Hi dear Team,
> >>
> >> A problem appeared with the memory leak. Function "erlang:memory()"
> >> shows
> >> that "total" parameter  grows constantly and fast, during the day it
> >> increases from 60 Mb till 510 Mb. "System" parameter also grows
> >> constantly, not as much fast, reaching 400 Mb.
> >> "process" parameter although does not reach 100 Mb. Top  FreeBSD
> >> utility’s
> >> "size" parameter also increases from 70 Mb till 600 Mb.
> >> System crashes on "mem_error" of the module "zlib.erl" or on the error
> >> "system_limit" while creating new process
> >> {erlang,open_port,[{spawn,zlib_drv},[binary]]}. "yaws",
> >> "error_logger" and
> >> some gen_server-s work on the computer. No database except "ets" is
> >> used
> >> during the functioning, but the used memory doesn’t exceed 1 Mb.
> >> Server
> >> receives messages each second.
> >> The memory releases after restarting erlang. Restarting individual
> >> gen_server-s gives nothing.
> >>
> >> What is the reason of appearing memory leak problem?
> >
> > Chances are, a programming error on your part.
> >
> > The fact that you're getting "system_limit" errors when creating new
> > processes leads me to believe that you might not have a memory leak
> > per se, but a process leak.  Meaning you are dynamically creating
> > processes, but don't shut them down.
> >
> > You can find the number of processes on your node using
> >
> > length(processes()).
> >
> > Try to see if this number increases constantly during operation.
> >
> > Mihai
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Roman Shuplov.

--Hynek (Pichi) Vychodil

Analyze your data in minutes. Share your insights instantly. Thrill your
boss.  Be a data hero!
Try Good Data now for free: www.gooddata.com