[erlang-questions] wxErlang gl and glu modules conflict with esdl

Sergei Golovan sgolovan@REDACTED
Thu Apr 16 09:07:41 CEST 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 10:23 AM,  <dgud@REDACTED> wrote:
> I did think about it, I've written both the libraries, but decided to ignore it, esdl it
> mostly (only?) used by wings and don't work in smp emulator, so I thought the future would

The future belongs to wxErlang, but for now esdl has some features
wxErlang hasn't (e.g. sound support)

> belong to wxErlang which will be included with Erlang/OTP instead.
> Also the code is better in the wxErlang and covers later revisions, what would be best
> would an identical api that would discover which backend to run.
>
> You can easily run erl -pa /PATH/TO/ESDL/ -s wings start for wings.

It would be natural to add -pa option if esdl hadn't installed to
Erlang root directory by default.

> I also had name problems, gl2 wx_gl :-)

wxgl looks just fine to me. It clearly shows that the module belongs
to wx application.

Another idea would be to rename gl and glu modules in esdl (to
esdl_gl, esdl_glu) and release a new version compatible with R13B
(currently esdl heavily uses removed erlang:fault/1 and obsolete tests
binary/1, list/1 etc.). Though changing API in existing library is
always a pain for users.

Cheers!
--
Sergei Golovan