[erlang-questions] segments of variable length

Gamoto gamoto@REDACTED
Sat Apr 4 14:03:37 CEST 2009

Thank you Per. That was the good solution. I understood my faults now ...
John

hat is because you are sending the following binary encoded term:
"$AVRMC,1234,151736" and you are matching that to {<<H,U,T>>} and a string does not match a one-tuple with a three byte binary as only element.

what you want is probably something like this:

-module(aa).
-define(X,<<131,107,0,18,36,65,86,82,77,67,44,49,50,51,52,44,49,53,49,55,51,54>>).
-export([start/0]).

start() ->
  case string:tokens(binary_to_term(?X), ",") of
    [H,U,T] ->
      io:format("Header = ~s~n",[H]),
      io:format("Unit ID = ~s~n",[U]),
      io:format("Time = ~s~n",[T])
   end.

The question is if the wire protocol isn't given this is not the easiest way to have two Erlang nodes talk. It would be far easier to say that the nodes should be sending binary encoded three-tuples to each other then you'd have something like this:

-module(ab).
-define(X, term_to_binary({"$AVRMC", 1234, 151736})).
-export([start/0]).

start() ->
  case binary_to_term(?X) of
      io:format("Header = ~s~n",[H]),
      io:format("Unit ID = ~p~n",[U]),
      io:format("Time = ~p~n",[T])
   end.

Note that in this case Unit ID and Time would be numbers rather than strings.

None of the code above has actually been tested so it might not compile.

Per