[erlang-questions] question on 'EXIT' messages delivered to exit-trapping gen_servers

Chandru chandrashekhar.mullaparthi@REDACTED
Fri Apr 3 01:29:22 CEST 2009

Hi Adam,

It looks like if a gen_server process was spawned using proc_lib:spawn and
an EXIT signal is received indicating that the Parent process has died, the
terminate() function is called!

The documentation should probably clarify this.

Here is the extract from gen_server.erl in R11B-5

loop(Parent, Name, State, Mod, Time, Debug) ->
    Msg = receive
          Input ->
            Input
      after Time ->
          timeout
      end,
    case Msg of
    {system, From, Req} ->
        sys:handle_system_msg(Req, From, Parent, ?MODULE, Debug,
                  [Name, State, Mod, Time]);
    {'EXIT', Parent, Reason} ->
        terminate(Reason, Name, Msg, Mod, State, Debug);
    _Msg when Debug =:= [] ->
        handle_msg(Msg, Parent, Name, State, Mod, Time);
    _Msg ->
        Debug1 = sys:handle_debug(Debug, {?MODULE, print_event},
                      Name, {in, Msg}),
        handle_msg(Msg, Parent, Name, State, Mod, Time, Debug1)
    end.

cheers
Chandru