[erlang-questions] Self-referencing anonymous functions?

Rob Charlton rob.charlton@REDACTED
Thu Apr 2 22:28:53 CEST 2009

Perhaps a step too far, but it's fun (no pun intended): you could also
use the Y-combinator:

1> Y = fun(M) ->
1>     G = fun (F) -> M(fun(A) -> (F(F))(A) end) end,
1>     G(G) end.
#Fun<erl_eval.6.13229925>

Then define Total using a surrounding function-that-takes-a-function:

2> Total2 = fun(F) -> fun([{N,C}|T]) -> N*C + F(T);([])-> 0 end end.
#Fun<erl_eval.6.13229925>

Then your actual Total function can be used by:

3> (Y(Total2))([{2,3},{4,1},{9,7}]).
73

Or you can then define Total by:

4> Total = Y(Total2).