[erlang-questions] gen-event

Mihai Balea mihai@REDACTED
Wed Apr 1 15:15:41 CEST 2009

On Apr 1, 2009, at 7:20 AM, Steve Davis wrote:

> The classic example would be a "logger" application.
>
> On Apr 1, 6:01 am, madan kumar <tmadanku...@REDACTED> wrote:
>> what is the need of  gen-event , allready we have gen server,gen-
>> fsm send
>> some examples  using gen-event.
>> --

The standard error_logger that comes with OTP is, in fact, based on
gen_event.
Generally speaking, you would use gen_event when you have an "event
source" and a variable number of "monitors/handlers/listeners".

There is some overlap in the gen_even/fsm/server family of
behaviours.  You could transform one into another by just ignoring
parts of existing functionality and writing up the missing bits.

Mihai