[erlang-questions] Gen supervisor query...

Dana.RUBINO@REDACTED Dana.RUBINO@REDACTED
Mon Sep 22 14:10:03 CEST 2008

Hi Edwin,

Thanks for the advice!

I think you may be correct in that it appears the second process is dying shortly after being started - the log is indicating it is being started! (they don't register themselves)

Slightly off-topic, any ideas why the appmon uses such a large amount of memory when switching to sup view from proc?

Many thanks,
Dan

________________________________
From: emofine@REDACTED [mailto:emofine@REDACTED] On Behalf Of Edwin Fine
Sent: 22 September 2008 12:27
To: RUBINO, Dana, GBM
Cc: erlang-questions@REDACTED
Subject: Re: [erlang-questions] Gen supervisor query...

Hi Dan

The first thing that comes to mind is, does the generic_tcp_server register itself? If so, the second one will fail to start. Do you see any error messages? I find if you start SASL before you run your program, you may get better error information (application:start(sasl), or -boot sasl on the command line). Anotyher possibility is, could one of them have died before you looked in appmon? What does your output/error log look like?

The other thing is, instead of explicitly looking in registered() for your connection monitor, you coud just use whereis():

case whereis(?CONNCOUNTER) of
    undefined -> % Not registered
        register(?CONNCOUNTER, spawn(fun() -> counter(0, MaxConnections) end)),
        error_logger:info_msg("TCP server <~p> started TCP connection monitor.~n", [self()]);
    Pid ->
        error_logger:info_msg(
            "TCP connection monitor (~p) already registered as ~p ...SKIPPING~n",
            [?CONNCOUNTER, Pid]
        )
end

Hope this helps.