[erlang-questions] Parallel Shootout & a style question

Ulf Wiger (TN/EAB) ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Thu Sep 4 11:55:56 CEST 2008

Mats Cronqvist skrev:
> Benjamin Tolputt wrote:
>>
>> The issue is that taking the direction you suggest *right now*
 >> will have the effect of making Erlang slower for most tasks on
 >> most platforms it is currently deployed on.
>   Will it? I doubt it would make a realistic application (e.g.
 >   a phone switch) significantly slower even on single core HW.
 >   Perhaps you're aware of some measurement that would prove me
 >   wrong?

The shootout could be a place to experiment with this, if we
could have one Erlang entry that assumes SMP, and one that
doesn't, for each benchmark (like we used to have a non-HiPE
and a HiPE version).

One issue is that there isn't e.g. a plists in the stdlib.
With permission from the shootout maintainers, we could
possibly have a patched build, with a lists module (etc.)
defaulting to parallel solutions (i.e. spawning processes
where sensible, and gathering results, preserving order
where necessary.)

Just a thought.

BR,
Ulf W