[erlang-questions] Parallel Shootout & a style question

Kevin Scaldeferri kevin@REDACTED
Wed Sep 3 02:20:13 CEST 2008

On Sep 2, 2008, at 3:27 PM, Isaac Gouy wrote:

> --- Kevin Scaldeferri <kevin@REDACTED> wrote:

>>> Every problem spec begins with an explicit demand that you diff
>>> program
>>> output with a provided expected output file - which does seem
>> awfully
>>> like requiring a specific output.
>>
>> Kinda, although the wording makes it sounds more like "don't submit
>> broken code" than "you must output this exactly" to me.  Anyway, my
>> latest version keeps the same ordering, so it's a moot point.
>
> How can diff tell us that there is broken code if it isn't the case
> that "you must output this exactly"?

Imagine a human, who is smarter than a computer, and can recognize the
same lines of output rearranged.

Seriously.  If the rules are "must output this exactly" then say
that.  In general, the benchmark rules are underspecified.

But, as I said before, moot point.  The current submission maintains
the same order of output.

-kevin