[erlang-questions] clarify: multi-threaded make

Kevin Scaldeferri kevin@REDACTED
Fri Nov 28 16:56:14 CET 2008

On Nov 28, 2008, at 10:07 AM, Kostis Sagonas wrote:

>> As far as I know, our Makefiles makes assumption about build order
>> that in general are not safe with the -j option.
>
> My experience with "make -j" has generally been pretty bad.
> I would not recommend it to anyone at this point.

If you're talking specifically about OTP, I'll defer to your
experience.  But, in general, "make -j" works if you have correctly
declared your dependencies in your Makefiles.  I'd have to say that it
puzzles me why you could "make assumptions about build order" when
make provides exactly a language for being explicit about such things.

-kevin