[erlang-questions] Erlang performance on Windows

Jesper Eskilson jesper@REDACTED
Sun Nov 23 21:42:33 CET 2008

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 7:09 PM, Mikael Pettersson <mikpe@REDACTED> wrote:
> Jesper Eskilson writes:
>  > Hi all,
>  >
>  > I was doing some Project Euler stuff on my Windows machine at home,
>  > and realized that there does not seem to be any Hipe support on
>  > Windows. I found some notes from a year or two back about why there
>  > was no Hipe support on Windows (I didn't delve into the technical
>  > details, though), but I was wondering what the status is now.
>
> Still no HiPE support on Windows I'm afraid.
> I plan on implementing that, but it's not the highest priority
> item on my Erlang TODO list, and it's made problematic by the
> hackery in the Erlang build system for Windows. My initial goal
> is to make it work with mingw's gcc (as msvc doesn't support ISO C99).

Did you ever consider moving away from autoconf? I've actually been in
charge of maintaining exactly this kind of build system (cygwin +
mingw/msvc + autoconf) on windows, and it is really not very fun. At
my current job, we've successfully moved our previously windows-only
build system to CMake (http://www.cmake.org) in order to get
cross-platform support. Compared to autoconf, CMake is really nice to
work with.

--
/Jesper