[erlang-questions] dialyzer and re(3)

Paul Guyot pguyot@REDACTED
Tue Nov 11 12:15:57 CET 2008

Le 11 nov. 08 à 12:00, erlang-questions-request@REDACTED a écrit :

> Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 12:33:44 +0200
> From: Kostis Sagonas <kostis@REDACTED>
> Subject: Re: [erlang-questions] dialyzer and re(3)
> To: erlang-questions@REDACTED
>
>> dialyzer does not know native functions of re(3) module and this
>> makes
>> it impossible to check our code that now uses re:compile/2, unless we
>> remove re.beam from the plt.
>
> I do not think you should worry about the above or take any action.
> The
> fact that dialyzer does not know anything about some function of the
> re
> module in no way affects the correctness of the analysis.  It just
> means
> that dialyzer might not be able to detect all discrepancies
> involving re
>
> Nothing to worry about...

I am not worrying about dialyzer's error message. Our continuous
integration server runs dialyzer and fails if dialyzer reports
anything of this level. I don't want to ignore dialyzer errors, so the
workaround was to remove re.beam from the PLT -- therefore calls to
re:compile/2 just becomes calls to an unknown function in an unknwon
module, and this is not fatal. I am just wondering if there is a
better workaround.

While we appreciate dialyzer very much and we rely on it, we are
somewhat disappointed by its current limitations and horrible
slowness, especially when compared to ocaml compiler which does type
inference and checking faster by a magnitude...

Paul