[erlang-questions] something is looping, but can't figure out where.

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Tue May 27 14:16:17 CEST 2008

You can mess around with the BIFs processes() and process_info(Pid, Tag)

These BIFS are described in the man page for Erlang (erl -man erl) (or
pre-installed man pages for windows)   (or
http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/erlang.html))

processes() returns a list of all Pids in the system.

process_info(Pid, Tag) returns process information for the process
Pid. Tag says what kind of information
you want. process_info(Pid) returns even more info per process

A command like

> [ process_info(Pid) || Pid <- processes()]

Will help you track down which process has run  wild.

Exercise: using processes/0 and process_info/1 (or /2) write a
function find_looping_process() that
locates the bad process. Hint take two samples with 5 second intervals
and compare ...

/Joe Armstrong