[erlang-questions] rpc is bad? (was Re: facebook chat server)

Ulf Wiger (TN/EAB) ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Fri May 23 08:46:31 CEST 2008

Steve Vinoski skrev:
> On 5/22/08, Ulf Wiger (TN/EAB) <ulf.wiger@REDACTED> wrote:
>
>>  One of these days, I'll try to write some understandable
>>  documentation for my VCC code (version-controlled channels,
>>  http://svn.ulf.wiger.net/vcc/trunk/vcc/SPECIFICATION.txt).

> That sounds pretty interesting. Have you looked at BEEP (Blocks
> Extensible Exchange Protocol, <http://beepcore.org/>) at all?
 > Some of what you describe above sounds similar, on the surface
 > at least, to what BEEP does, and even uses similar terminology.

Yes, I did look at BEEP at the time, and stole some ideas, but
ultimately it didn't do the things I needed (exactly where it
fell short, I don't recall, since it was three years ago and
I didn't write it down). My best guess would be that the version
negotiation, and possibly channel monitoring, were the missing
bits. Version control should be part of the core protocol, but
monitoring might not have to be.

BR,
Ulf W