[erlang-questions] facebook chat server

Kevin A. Smith kevin@REDACTED
Sun May 18 05:31:43 CEST 2008

I like Thrift because there's no ORB, the client/server model is
actually pretty sane, and the IDL strikes the right balance between
completeness and usefulness. I can actually read the source to Thrift
and understand what the code is doing. The last time I did anything
with CORBA (around the late 1990's) it was all so complicated and
difficult to use. It seemed like "Hello, World" required a ton of
infrastructure and 100 lines of code. IMHO SOAP is just as bad with
all the WS-* madness and lack of interop between impls.

When I considered Thrift the only real inter-language alternatives
were SOAP (ugh!), CORBA (double-ugh!), Thrift, or roll-your own.
Thrift let me write the code I needed to write with minimal fuss. The
servers have been in production for 7 months without a single crash or
problem.

--Kevin