[erlang-questions] 22 May 2008: Robert Virding on Lisp Flavoured Erlang, (Stockholm User Group Talk)

Francesco Cesarini francesco@REDACTED
Mon May 12 11:46:41 CEST 2008

If you are interested in receiving these types of announcements, please
register with the Erlang Stockholm User Group mailing list, as we will
soon be moving all of these announcements there to offload the Erlang
Questions List. All you need to do is send a blank email to
erlangstockholm-subscribe@REDACTED and follow the instructions or
visit the user group page on
http://www.erlang-consulting.com/erlang/usergroup/erlangstockholm.html .

The second meeting of the Stockholm Erlang User Group will be hosted by
Stockholm University on Thursday the 22nd of May starting at 18.30
(Doors open at 18.00). Robert Virding, one of the original inventors of
Erlang will present his latest open source project  Lisp Flavored Erlang
(http://forum.trapexit.org/viewtopic.php?p=43887#43887). If you are
interested in attending this free event, you have to register. By
registering, you will enable us to plan room size and refreshments
accordingly, provide Security with the name list of participants, and in
those extreme cases where the number of places are limited, close
registration as soon as we have reached the maximum room capacity or
find a larger room (As happened last time). You can register on the
Erlang Stockholm User Group Page here:
http://www.erlang-consulting.com/erlang/usergroup/erlangstockholm.html

*Abstract:*In this talk we will describe and demonstrate Lisp Flavored
Erlang (LFE). LFE allows you to write Erlang code in a lisp syntax and
combines the versatility and extensibility of lisp with the COP power of
Erlang. LFE is completely integrated with Erlang/OTP and code written in
LFE can freely be used together with modules written in vanilla Erlang
and applications in Erlang/OTP. LFE is also much easier to use than
vanilla Erlang when generating code. We will describe the system, its
tools and its implementation, and also demonstrate some of its features
and using its programming environment.

* Biography:*Robert Virding is one of the original developers of Erlang
at the Ericsson Computer Science Lab. While there he also did work on
garbage collection and the implementation of high-level languages. He
left Ericsson to found Bluetail, the first Erlang startup acquired by
Nortel in 2000. He now works for the Swedish Defense Material
Administration (FMV) where he is not able to use Erlang. He does,
however, still program Erlang in his spare time and take part in the
Erlang community.

See you there!
Francesco
--