[erlang-questions] Writing gen_servers with TCP listeners

Eric Maland eric@REDACTED
Mon May 12 02:15:50 CEST 2008

Thanks, this and the oserl code was good reading and extremely
helpful.  Serge's tutorial is a bit terrifying given the use of
prim_inet, though.

With your help I did find the solution and it had nothing to do
(directly) with the relationship between the listening and accepting
processes.

Here is what my start() looked like (in module 'sissie'):

start() ->
     sissie_db:start(),
     sissie_supervisor:start_link(1042, fun session_manager/1),

This worked fine from the erl console but when run with:

     erl -boot start_sasl -s sissie start

The socket closed immediately, and all the accept()ors failed.

I had made the assumption that since the supervisor starts my
gen_server and the gen_server creates the listener, as well as spawns
the accept()ors, that my gen_server's lifetime was what was important
to the listening socket's longevity.

It turns out my parent module, 'sissie' was the important process due
to its linkage to the supervisor.  When starting the server from the
command line rather than the shell, 'sissie' would exit and that exit
would chain down to the supervisor, its gen_servers, etc.

Any of these changes 'fixes' the problem:

start() ->
     sissie_db:start(),
     sissie_supervisor:start_link(1042, fun session_manager/1),
     receive after infinity -> true end. %%

start() ->
     sissie_db:start(),
     spawn(fun() ->
                   sissie_supervisor:start_link(1042, fun
session_manager/1),
                   receive after infinity -> true end
           end).

start() ->
     sissie_db:start(),
     {ok, Pid} = sissie_supervisor:start_link(1042, fun
session_manager/1),
     unlink(Pid).

The latter seems the most explicit, but I have to ask myself if
there's not a better/prescribed method of starting a system like this
other than what I'm doing.  I went through Joe Armstrong's book a
little and found at least one example similar to the above, where the
'starter' is unlinked from the supervisor at startup, so perhaps this
is just normal and something that I must get used to.

Clearly I am new to Erlang and OTP.  Thanks again for your help.

Cheers
Eric