[erlang-questions] managing large records

Szabolcs Berecz szabolcs.berecz@REDACTED
Sun May 11 13:05:14 CEST 2008

Hi,

I have a record with a lot of fields which are updated nontrivially. I
tried to create a process for this task which looks like this:

-record(mm, {a=1,b=4,c}).

new() ->
        loop(#mm{}).

loop(Mm) ->
        receive
                {set, Field, Value} ->
                        loop(Mm#mm{Field=Value});
                {get, Pid} ->
                        Pid ! Mm,
                        loop(Mm)
        end.

But as you probably know, it doesn't work because it needs to now the
value of Field at compile time (or at least, that's what I have
concluded).
So, my question is: how would you solve the problem (lot's of fields,
almost random updates)?

Szabi

--
DRM: Digital Restrictions Management -- learn about the dangers at